Although harmless, hyperpigmentation is a skin condition that is dreaded by many, especially women. It results in uneven pigmentation on the skin, or dark patches and age spots. It can be caused by sun exposure, hormones, aging, and acne, among other things.
While there are many ways to mask hyperpigmentation, one of the most promising is to use foundations and concealers, including those that will be briefly mentioned in the rest of this post. It can effectively create a camouflage effect to hide discoloration and uneven spots. They can provide full coverage to make the skin look more flawless.
- Top Foundations & Concealers for Hyperpigmentation
- NYX Cosmetics Concealer Wand
- COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
- L'Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Foundation Makeup
- BareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation SPF 20
- BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream SPF 30
- Dermablend Intense Powder High Coverage Foundation
- Revlon PhotoReady Concealer
- L’Oréal Infallible Total Cover Foundation
- Revlon ColorStay Liquid Foundation For Normal/dry Skin
- Dermablend Smooth Liquid Foundation
- Clinique Even Better Makeup Foundation
- NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation
- Dermablend Blurring Mousse Camo Oil-Free Foundation
- Vichy Dermafinish Liquid Foundation
- Smashbox Studio Skin 15-Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
- Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Effect Makeup
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup
- Mirabella Skin Tint Crème Full Coverage Liquid Mineral Foundation
- E.L.F. Cosmetics Maximum Coverage Concealer
- Dermacol Make-up Cover - Waterproof Hypoallergenic Foundation
- The Best Ingredients for the Treatment of Hyperpigmentation
- Other Ways to Deal with Hyperpigmentation
- Tips for Applying Makeup to Hide Hyperpigmentation
- Wrap Up
Top Foundations & Concealers for Hyperpigmentation
We spent hours researching the products available on the market to come up with a list of recommendations, including those that are briefly discussed below.
NYX Cosmetics Concealer Wand
This concealer can effectively provide medium to natural coverage to hide hyperpigmentation. It contains hydrators and other ingredients that can condition the skin to improve complexion. It is available in 12 shades, so you can be sure that there is one suitable for your skin tone. Since it has a wand, you can apply it even in small areas, such as under the eyes.
COVERGIRL Outlast All-Day Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
This is a versatile product that acts not only as a liquid foundation but also as a primer and concealer. It has a lightweight and long-lasting formula, which won’t feel sticky throughout the day. There is also SPF 20 for protection from the heat of the sun. Plus, there are 13 shades to choose from.
L'Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Foundation Makeup
If you hate foundations that feel sticky, this is for you as it comes with an oil-free formula. There is also SPF for protection from harmful rays of the sun. There are 45 shades that are available, so you can definitely find one that is perfect for your skin tone. It contains Vitamin A and C, as well as fruit extracts, which will nourish the skin.
BareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation SPF 20
With the lightweight formula of this product, it feels barely on the skin, making it great during a hot day. It has titanium oxide, a mineral sunscreen that protects the face from sun damage. For your peace of mind, it is also good to know that it has been through clinical tests to prove that it is indeed effective.
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream SPF 30
If you are looking for a foundation that can provide sheer to medium coverage, this will be an excellent alternative. Even in high-humidity, the foundation will stay on the face. It can withstand perspiration. It contains hyaluronic acid and glycerin, both of which are essential for healthy skin.
Dermablend Intense Powder High Coverage Foundation
For those with oily or sensitive skin, this will be a great pick. It has an oil-free formula and a matte finish, making your skin flawless throughout the day. If your skin is prone to acne, it will also be a good choice since it does not clog the pores.
Revlon PhotoReady Concealer
This creamy concealer delivers a medium buildable coverage, making it possible to achieve perfection in an instant. To be effective in hiding your hyperpigmentation, the manufacturer recommends blending it on the skin using your finger in a patting motion.
L’Oréal Infallible Total Cover Foundation
Available in 12 shades, this foundation can last up to 24 hours, eliminating the need for reapplication. It has a natural finish and high coverage. To add, it also comes with an air-light texture, making it perfect for those who despise foundation that is too thick. It contains high-load pigments, which will even out hyperpigmentation.
Revlon ColorStay Liquid Foundation For Normal/dry Skin
If you have normal or dry skin, this 24-hour foundation is another great choice for hyperpigmentation. There are 13 shades that are easy to blend to match the natural color of the skin. It also has SPF 20. It has an impressive formula that won’t cause the skin to dry out.
Dermablend Smooth Liquid Foundation
This foundation has been allergy-tested, making it perfect even for people with sensitive skin. It has a smooth liquid formula and can last up to 16 hours. The company recommends that it is used along with their Dermablend Setting Powder to prevent smudge.
Clinique Even Better Makeup Foundation
It is a creamy foundation with SPF 15. It contains ingredients that do not only temporarily mask hyperpigmentation but also helps in lightening acne-scars in the long-term. The foundation may look too dewy at first, but when applied on the face, it creates a smooth and semi-matte finish.
NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation
This mineral-enriched liquid foundation is a great choice if you want to achieve medium to full coverage. It has a water-based and oil-free formula, so you can be confident that it won’t feel sticky throughout the day, even when the humidity is high. It gives the skin a satin finish, unlike oily foundations that can make the face too shiny.
Dermablend Blurring Mousse Camo Oil-Free Foundation
With SPF 25, this is a good foundation for targeting specific problem areas, including hyperpigmentation. If you have acne, crevices, and bumps, this will also be effective for hiding the imperfections and achieving more flawless skin. When used with a setting powder, this foundation can last up to 16 hours.
Vichy Dermafinish Liquid Foundation
Available in four shades, this liquid foundation offers SPF 30. One of the main active ingredients is titanium dioxide, which is the one responsible for protecting the skin from the harsh heat of the sun. It provides high coverage and lasts almost two times longer compared to a normal foundation.
Smashbox Studio Skin 15-Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
This foundation contains light diffusing beads, which will be effective in providing medium to full coverage. It does not only cover hyperpigmentation, but it also has a special formulation that provides the skin a moisturizing effect without shine and oiliness.
Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Effect Makeup
To achieve a photo-ready look that is free of pores and an airbrushed appeal, this is the right foundation for you. It has light-filtering technology, which significantly improves the complexion of the skin, making it great for hyperpigmentation. It is available in six shades – ivory, shell, vanilla, nude, natural beige, and medium beige.
Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup
Using this foundation allows the skin to have a physical barrier to getting rid of external factors that can cause significant damage, such as pollution and heat from the sun. When applied, it gives the skin a satin and luminous finish.
Mirabella Skin Tint Crème Full Coverage Liquid Mineral Foundation
For a dewy finish with a beautiful glow, this is a good foundation to use. It has a gentle formula that is also oil-free. Aside from hyperpigmentation, this is also highly recommended for people who have acne-prone skin.
E.L.F. Cosmetics Maximum Coverage Concealer
This is another oil-free concealer that can help hide the hyperpigmentation without causing too much shine. Also, you won’t feel sticky even when you wear the foundation during a hot day. For the best outcomes, it is recommended that you use it with the mist from the same manufacturer to make it last longer.
Dermacol Make-up Cover - Waterproof Hypoallergenic Foundation
Even with a thin application of this concealer, it will be effective in hiding skin imperfections. It has SPF 30 and it is loved by many because of the waterproof formula. The concealer is thick and blendable, making it a great addition to your makeup kit.
The Best Ingredients for the Treatment of Hyperpigmentation
As you look for skincare products that can be effective in treating hyperpigmentation, below are some of the must-have ingredients. These ingredients are often utilized in products like chemical peels and serums.
- Kojic Acid: This is a powerful ingredient that helps to brighten skin complexion
- Retinoids: These are derivatives of Vitamin A that are specifically used for the treatment of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Arbutin: This is naturally derived from bearberry plant and it limits the production of extra melanin.
- Vitamin C: One of the most important skin vitamins, it is also critical in improving complexion.
Other Ways to Deal with Hyperpigmentation
Aside from using foundations and concealers to disguise hyperpigmentation, there are other solutions that are equally promising:
- Microdermabrasion: This works best if there is only minimal darkness. It works by removing the uppermost layer of the skin.
- Chemical Peel: To get rid of discoloration, salicylic acid and glycolic acid are often used in chemical peels. These chemicals can be adjusted in terms of potency depending on the extent of the problem.
- Intense Pulse Light: It is a common treatment of choice for those who are suffering from sun-induced hyperpigmentation. It is a light-based therapy that pulses into the skin while also working on the blood vessels.
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing: For those who have an extreme case of discoloration, this treatment is recommended. It creates controlled micro-injuries that will help speed up skin healing.
Tips for Applying Makeup to Hide Hyperpigmentation
You do not need to be an expert makeup artist to build coverage and mask the discoloration. Below are the simple steps to follow:
- 1Start by preparing and brightening the skin, which can be done by applying eye cream and a concealer.
- 2Next, correct the color by applying a foundation with sun protection. Use the right brush to achieve maximum coverage while concentrating on areas with the most problem.
- 3Build coverage on areas with more problem. To do this, use a foundation stick with a creamy and solid formula.
- 4To finish, line and define, which will highlight certain portions of the face where you want attention to be drawn.
While there are dermatological procedures that can help in the treatment of hyperpigmentation, many of them can be expensive. With this, if you are looking for a quick and affordable fix, use the foundations and concealers mentioned above to have more flawless and even skin!